The Partnerships in Employment Training and Technical Assistance Center is using a demonstrated approach to state level systems change and technical assistance to increase employment outcomes for youth and young adults in eight participating states: Alaska, California, Iowa, Missouri, Mississippi, New York, Tennessee, and Wisconsin.
The Institute for Community Inclusion (ICI) and the National Association of State Directors of Developmental Disabilities Services (NASDDDS) are using a holistic approach that includes focused, performance-driven, individual state support, state-to-state networking and learning, and aggressive knowledge transfer and information dissemination. State site visits include a comprehensive assessment of policy and practice to support work plan development and identification of existing expertise and common needs for state-to-state collaboration. Permanent products will include a longitudinal cross state analysis of data on factors that support and impede systems change efforts, a High Performing Transition Model state self assessment toolkit, a performance benchmarking toolkit, community of practice reports and recommendations, topical webinars for on demand use, and a resource library of model documents and tools including MOUs, policies, and service tools.
- What factors facilitate competitive employment for youth and young adults with intellectual disabilities?
- What challenges do systems, students, young adults and families face in supporting integrated employment and post-secondary education outcomes?
- How are transition, post secondary education and employment addressed in state and local policy?
- What is the role of the departments of public instruction, developmental disabilities, and vocational rehabilitation in facilitating transition outcomes?
Needs Assessment and Technical Assistance Elements
- Leadership and goals
- Funding and contracting
- Staff training and technical assistance
- Services and innovation
- Employment performance measurement, quality assurance and program oversight
- Youth development and leadership
- Family engagement
High Performing States Model
Hall, et al, 2007